Journey of International Adoption (Adoptive Parents' Perspective) - the Road to this Point

Friends,

Wow - thank you for being interested enough to check out this blog. We feel so blessed and surrounded by so many incredible people who love us and walk alongside us. We praise God for each of you!

Even before we were married (11+ years ago), Josh and I talked about adoption as a powerful movement and ministry of God that we would be honored to participate in as a family. Of course, at this point, it was more in the idea, theory, openness, here-and-there prayer stage.

As we felt God readying us to start a family, we welcomed Josiah in 2011 and Lukas quickly after in 2012. All along, we continued to discuss adoption and pray about it on-and-off.

We were truly surprised by a third pregnancy in 2013 and deeply saddened by the loss of this child through miscarriage 11 weeks into the pregnancy (December 2013). While the loss of our baby was so painful, the miscarriage was also a traumatic experience for me personally as I hemorrhaged at home and was taken by ambulance to the hospital, where I spent the next 36 hours or so in the ER and ICU collectively. What is remarkable about this experience is God's nearness to me and how He spoke so clearly to me while in the ER. He commanded 3 things: (1) Go back to NEIU (the campus I was serving on with InterVarsity at the time), share the gospel and invite these specific people to follow Jesus (he gave me visions of who the people were); (2) Now is the time to step into more influence and leadership; and (3) Adopt.

For the curious ones out there, I want to testify that I quickly began obeying all 3. As soon as I stepped back on campus, I followed through with (1), and while no one decided to follow Jesus at that time, I absolutely trust God was moving and IS moving in especially one person's life. Next, I did the best I knew how obeying (2), and nearly 4 years later, I can say that I am continuing to step into that. Finally, (3). . .Josh and I have not stopped obeying, but it has been a long and circuitous route.

We have spent the last 3 years and 9 months in a lot of prayer, a lot of conversations, and not a few fits and starts in order to obey - joyfully - the call to adopt. We started pursuing foster to adopt and spent the better part of the last 45 months in what felt a little like traveling on a train track like the one pictured here. LLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGG story short. . . this summer, we experienced a breakthrough in clarity, conversation, and calling, and now, even to our surprise, we are moving forward with international adoption.

As you probably know, the cost of international adoption is colossal. We are paying a percentage out of pocket, applying for scholarships and grants, as well as fundraising.

If you would enjoy sharing in the joy and ministry of adoption with our family, we would be so honored if you would walk with us in prayer and financial support.
You may give at any time via America World Adoptions:
https://portal.awaa.org/give/general_donation.aspx
PLEASE MAKE SURE you designate your gift to "Joshua and Amber Jipp family adoption" in the Notes section of your donation information page.

With love in Christ,
Amber (and Josh)

Comments

Unknown said…
I am so excited to hear this! Thank you so much for sharing your journey with us and for giving us such a beautiful window into what God is doing in your lives. I LOVE that you are adopting!!!! Can't wait to hear updates along the way and celebrate the gotcha day when we meet your little one!!!
Kristin said…
Praising God for your act of obedience and thrilled to walk with you every step of the way!
Lisa said…
Thanks for sharing your heartwarming story with us. I'm thrilled for you and for the little one about to join your family! Looking forward to walking with you on this journey!
Unknown said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said…
Hi Amber and Josh,
I can't make the party (although it sounds like a lot of fun, I'll be in Toronto that day) but am so happy for you! Adoption is a beautiful calling, and you are a beautiful family to be part of it. I'd love to pray for you all and see you sometime soon!

Katie Chambers
Britt said…
Amber & Josh...praise God for your faithfulness. I'm thrilled to follow your family's journey. Continue to let us know how we can pray for you guys!